December 08, 2012

Review: Beastly by Alex Flinn


Beastly (Kendra Chronicles #1)

Goodreads Summary:


I am a beast.
A beast. Not quite wolf or bear, gorilla or dog but a horrible new creature who walks upright--a creature with fangs and claws and hair springing from every pore. I am a monster.
You think I'm talking fairy tales? No way. The place is New York City. The time is now. It's no deformity, no disease. And I'll stay this way forever--ruined--unless I can break the spell.
Yes, the spell, the one the witch in my English class cast on me. Why did she turn me into a beast who hides by day and prowls by night? I'll tell you. I'll tell you how I used to be Kyle Kingsbury, the guy you wished you were, with money, perfect looks, and the perfect life. And then, I'll tell you how I became perfectly . . . beastly.


Release Date: October 2, 2007
Pages: 304
Series?
Publisher? Harper Teen
Other books in the series:
Bewitching (Kendra Chronicles, #2)Beastly: Lindy's Diary (Kendra Chronicles #1.5)



LONG STORY SHORT:

It's the best - the best! - when you start reading a book, thinking it could never impress you very much and then you find yourself needing to pick it up again every free minute you have until - suddenly - it hits you. You've fallen in love with the story, with the characters, with the author's writing...and you want nothing more than to loose yourself in the world forever. Beastly was just like that. It was a wonderful, deep, fantastical love story without all the cliches and without any annoyances. Just a very sweet tale and a couple you won't forget so soon....

REVIEW:

This seemed not like the kind of book I would enjoy. It started with the genre (a fantasy retelling that sounded like paranormal Romance), then it had a male narrator which usually weirds me out like crazy and the story could have ended in a cheesy cliche...but it didn't.
Honestly, I was so surprised by Beastly. I cannot say that enough. I mean, Kyle was a mean idiot in the beginning. He was so...woah, it drove me crazy how he treated other people and also how he thought of them. But even at that point, he also felt very real. I believed the author that this guy really existed, his story made sense..
I'd have to lie to say it was the same with Lindy. indy's story maybe somnehow, in a way....could have turned out a bit more realistic than it was. It was a bit too tragic, a bit too dramatic and her dad...was a bit too cruel in my opinion. But that I can forgive. Literally, I just stopped thinking during the scenes I could not quite find realistic because the rest of the novel amazed me so!
Kyle and Lindy's way to each other is pretty long and they have to overcome MANY obstacles before they can finally be together but that - in addition to my love for both of the characters - just made me cheer them on and root for them even more.
Okay, so...just in case you haven't noticed: I enjoyed this book a great deal - it caught me totally off guard and I recommend it to everyone because this love storey is sooo cute that no one is going to be able to put it down or laugh it off :D

RATING: 3/ 3 Smarties

2 comments:

  1. How did I not know this was part of a series??? Lol...thanks for helping me find that! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there! You're welcome! But from what I understand one of the books in the "series" is a novella from Lindy's point of view and the other one belongs to the "Kendra Chronicles" but I'm pretty sure it's about the witch and not Lindy and the beast :)

      Delete

Similar To This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...