January 28, 2013

Review: Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare

Clockwork Angel
by Cassandra Clare


Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1)


When sixteen-year-old Tessa Gray crosses the ocean to find her brother, her destination is England, the time is the reign of Queen Victoria, and something terrifying is waiting for her in London's Downworld, where vampires, warlocks and other supernatural folk stalk the gaslit streets. Only the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the world of demons, keep order amidst the chaos.

Kidnapped by the mysterious Dark Sisters, members of a secret organization called The Pandemonium Club, Tessa soon learns that she herself is a Downworlder with a rare ability: the power to transform, at will, into another person. What’s more, the Magister, the shadowy figure who runs the Club, will stop at nothing to claim Tessa's power for his own.

Friendless and hunted, Tessa takes refuge with the Shadowhunters of the London Institute, who swear to find her brother if she will use her power to help them. She soon finds herself fascinated by—and torn between—two best friends: James, whose fragile beauty hides a deadly secret, and blue-eyed Will, whose caustic wit and volatile moods keep everyone in his life at arm's length . . . everyone, that is, but Tessa. As their search draws them deep into the heart of an arcane plot that threatens to destroy the Shadowhunters, Tessa realizes that she may need to choose between saving her brother and helping her new friends save the world. . . . and that love may be the most dangerous magic of all.



Hardcover, 1st Edition, 479 pages
Published August 31st 2010 by Margaret K. McElderry Books 

Other works by this author:
City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)Clockwork Prince (The Infernal Devices, #2)Shadowhunters and Downworlders: A Mortal Instruments Reader

RATING: 3/3 Smarties (with a tear in their eyes)


A Long Story...Short!

Clockwork Angel was a good novel on its own, a nice beginning to a new series. It featured sympathetic characters with partially unique backgrounds but not very special personalities. The dialogue was kind of witty and definitely entertaining, the plot as well as the writing was very fluent and easy to understand but never boring. Sooo...what about all this unemotional blabber, you ask? Well, this book did not blow my mind. It didn't even come close. I liked it, yes, but having read The Mortal Instruments this one felt pretty redundant to me and it could not even touch my high expectations...sorry!

Review for You:


As you could read above this book did not amaze me as I thought it would. I never really understood the hype around The Mortal Instruments - until the last two books. That series only grew on me when I became so attached to the characters (in City of Fallen Angels) that I just had to know if they'd survive the next few chapters - or, even more important, if they would end up with the love of their lives. It's exactly the same for me with the Infernal Devices. 
I mean, I just have to give big credit to Clare's writing. I felt more like watching a movie than reading a book, her writing is descriptive, but not too over the top. I could easily follow the characters and the plot, I could spend hours reading this book because my head never needed a break. So, really, A+ for writing and storytelling. 
What I have to criticize is the actual story - I even got a little mad a few times throughout the story because if you write a new book, set in the same world as your other series and with different characters, then please make it different!!! I don't want to read another story and feel like the only thing about the characters that has changed is their names! This is especially true for Will - who reminded me SO much on Jace!
From Tessa, the MC, I would've wanted a bit more personality as a whole, Jem was okay. No, great even. a well - rounded character that seemed completely unique to me.
All together, I can't - and won't - say that this was a bad book, because it so wasn't! If I wasn't familiar with Clare's other books, I'd simply say this was one very good Urban Fantasy novel, but it didn't have that last special touch to it that would have made me go all Woah!!! in this review. 
The fact that I do know the Mortal Instruments - and that I thought these books were even better and then they weren't, really, - leave me a bit disappointed. I'd still recommend Clockwork Angel, though.

Review for Me:


Favorite Quote:
 "One must always be careful with books", said Tessa, "and what is inside them , for words have the power to change us."

What I Learned From This Book:
That you are what you are and even when you suddenly realize there's something in you that you've never known until that moment, you're still the same person. You are what your life and your memories and your dreams make you and you are what and who you want to be. You are who you are and nothing could ever change that.

When I want to reread this book
Not anytime soon, I guess. Clockwork Princess is coming soon, so I'm excited for that one! And that Magnus Bane Series...and the City of Bones Movie and then the last Mortal Instruments book. And maybe after that, I'll reread this one :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Similar To This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...