January 10, 2013

What I Thought About...Tempest by Julie Cross

Tempest 

by Julie Cross

Tempest (Tempest, #1)

Hardcover, 1st Edition, 352 pages
Published January 17th 2012 by St. Martin's Griffin


Other works by this author:

Tomorrow is Today (Tempest, #0.5)Vortex (Tempest, #2)


A Long Story...Short!


This book has something for everyone. It's got the paranormal aspect with the time travelling, but it has sci-fi as well as action and mystery in it. The plot comes with a ton of twists and turns and action and the background story and information we get as readers does not lack a thing. At the end of the book everything that happened is crystal clear and still does not appear unrealistic. We are left with a cliffhanger, that's good but not annoying. Almost a perfect book, I would say. The only thing I missed  was characterisation. The main and side characters all seemed a bit stereotypical and flat and didn't develop at all throughout the book, but in contrast to the rest, I could easily forgive and forget this aspect.

Rating: 3/3 Smarties




Review for You:

Tempest was probably the most entertaining novel I have read in a  long time. I am sooo mad at myself for letting it collect dust on my shelf for almost a year. As I mentioned above there was only one thing that seperated this novel from perfection: the characters. During the first few pages, I thought Jackson would be a really unique character with a voice that fit him and displayed how he looked on the inside. Well...that was over pretty soon. Jackson does not stay as funny as he seems to be in the beginning, he loses his uniqueness and does not gain it back until the end of the book. He is a nice guy, yes, but he is also very much like most male YA characters. Also, I wished so much to feel some chemistry between Jackson and Holly and that didn't happen, sadly. They had a lot potential as a couple.
Enough of that. Let's talk about the awesomeness of this book. The plot was fantastic. Very well thought-out. So many things happened and they were just thrown in your face as the novel went on. While the first half was more on the entertaining, funny side ( and sometimes, I'll admit it, a bit dragging), the second one was full of action and mystery to solve, which I loved. Sometimes I had to read a page twice to understand that this. actually. really. just. happened! But the explanations were always good and believable, and very futuristic and sci-fi. Oh, how I loved this novel! Also, as a last thought: I can recommend this book for boys, too. It' s not very cheesy, but comes with a nice 007- element...

Review for me:

Favorite Quote: It was kind of heart to find a quote in this book. As I said it was rather entertaining and fun than emotional and quoteworthy..anyway, here's what I came up with:
"But doing the right thing is hard sometimes. The more practise you have, the easier it gets."

What I learned from this book:
Um...kind of difficult. I learned once again, what a Sci-Fi geek I can be when handed the right book.

What I want to remember from this book: That a novel with time travel is always, always worth a read- NO prejudice  allowed!

When I want to reread this book: When Tempest #3 comes out, when I just read a book that really sucked and I need to remind myself why I love reading in the first place. To get over a reading slump.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Similar To This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...