April 30, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday

This week's topic is so amazing - it's about the words in a synopsis that make me automatically buy a book...so this could be interesting :) 


1) Boarding School
Obvious right? If not - may I mention the awesome the Harry Potter books? Vampire Academy? Anna and the French Kiss? 

2) Anything Sarah-ish
Seriously? I'm starting to believe having Sara as a first name really influences your writing in some way...I mean Sarah Dessen, Sara Ockler, Sara Zarr - I'd read everything by one of them!


3) Androids
I don't even love dystopia, but ever since I read Cinder and Scarlet I'm somewhat obsessed with little robots that behave a bit too human like to be normal, but not enough to be creepy - I'd just love to have my own little waliking computer to cuddle with!

4) Asia/China/Japan
I'm so interested in one of these countries /the planet itself. Possibly because I know almost nothing about it. It's the same with documentaries, though. I could watch different news stories about China and its people and their mentality all day long.

5) Eating disorders
This one is much more serious than the rest, but being as interested in psychology as I am (I even considered studying it in college) it appeals to me as a topic.

6) True Love
As weird is this might sound,  I love contemporary novels that deal with...just that - a couple in love. There don't even has to be a lot happening...sometimes I crave a story that makes me believe in simple, true love :) 

7) London, Paris, New York or LA
Even though I live in Germany, which obviously is in Europe, I still haven't seen a lot of the rest of the continent. I'm especially exited about the big cities like Paris, London, Prague etc. Along with that, I always love to read books set in the USA as that's the one country I really want to go to (and maybe live there someday?) in my life.

8) High Fantasy
This one is ridiculous, because I'm not sure I've read more than one or two HF novels in my life. However, I love the idea of completely sinking into that other world on a rainy fall day with a cup of hot chocolate :)


9) Stand Up! - books
This is a topic very near and dear to my heart. It's one of the reasons the Dear Bully anthology is one of my favorite books ever. I think it's so important for us teens (and everyone else, of course) to know that we're not alone in certain situations and that we can - and must - stand up for the ones who are left behind.

10) YA in general
Lastly, whenever I see YA, I get excited. At least in Germany, that genre just does not get the attention it deserves. The shelves in the bookstores never show the newest titles, it's still same ol' Harry Potter and Twilight that lounge around there when you first walk in even though everyone already owns those books (or probably never will)

5 comments:

  1. Absolutely on boarding school. That's my number 1, too. You make a compelling argument for the name Sara(h). I'd never thought about it, but you're right. Totally agree for London, Paris, NY or LA. Great list!
    Here's my TTT

    ReplyDelete
  2. What you said about Sarah/Sara as an author name is so true! It must be good luck!

    www.booknerdsjourney.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to see more about East Asia and South Asia. I think it would be awesome if more Diverse titles get more attention in YA. They never seem to get any attention. I enjoy books about London too! Well probably because I was born there and my dad has such great stories about the city and culture.

    If you like books with tough issues you should check out Leverage by Joshua C.Cohen. It's one of the best YA books I've read that deals with tough issues in sports culture.

    Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. London is another love of mine, I love reading books set in London, or England. And yes to high fantasy. Great picks!
    I need to check out the Sara theory! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You NEED to read Mila 2.0 if you love novels with androids! It's so good. Project Paper Doll: Rules by Stacey Kade is another, but I didn't like that one as much (unfortunately).

    Great list!

    ReplyDelete

Similar To This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...