May 14, 2013

Bout of Books Read-a-Thon Updates Day ONE


Bout of Books

Monday
Number of books I've read today: 0.5
Total number of books I've read: 0.5
Books: Blue Moon by Alyson Noel

Mhm...I don't even know what to say. I did read for two hours straight in the afternoon - without distractions. Then, though, there was the Twitter chat and random TV watching with my mom and then it was 11PM and I was SO tired. So, yeah. I started out good, but determination kind of faded away. Goal for Tuesday? Be more consistent! Also, blog-visiting and posting on here as well as challenges just didn't fit into yesterday's schedule...

TUESDAY CHALLENGES

Soundtrack Challenge:

I have said it before on this blog - I'm not the type of reader to listen to music as I read. As my soundtrack for the Caster Chronicles series, especially Beautiful Creatures, though, I'd pick Avril Lavigne's first album Let Go.
Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles, #1)
Here's why:
One of the reasons I love that series so much is that it is set in a small, traditional, conservative town very similar to the one I grew up in most of my life. And just like Ethan and Lena, I never really felt like I and my loud opinions fit in.  That's where Avril Lavigne and her songs come in. I'm thinking Anything but Ordinary, My World and - of course - Nobody's Fool. To complete the soundtrack, one could throw in Pink's Don't Let Me Get Me, Stupid Girls and Fucking Perfect :)

Alternative Title Challenge

Rosebush

Actually, I'm cheating a bit on this one. As most of you guys following me for a while know, I find that Michele Jaffe's Rosebush is just not talked about enough. I think, one reason could be the title. I mean, seriously, who would want to read a book that sounds like an uniquely designed gardening book? Not me! One morning at our library, though, I came across the exact same book but with the German title which is: Beauty knows no death. Admittedly, it does sound a bit more interesting in German, but I think it is still better than Rosebush. Just saying....



6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Doesn't it? It's more mysterious, I think! Rosebush really is a good novel! It starts out rather slow and confusing, but it gets more intruiging in the middle and deeper on the emotional side and the ending - blew me away! It came totally unexpected!

      Delete
  2. Cool. I totally see how you'd pair Avril with Beautiful Creatures. I actually don't listen to music when I read as much anymore, but there are still parts of books that remind me of pieces of music.
    There's a scene in Gone Away World by Nick Harkaway that fits perfectly to a piece of music from the Plunkett & Macleane soundtrack. Things like that just strike me sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really listen to music and read at the same time, either. What I like, though, is how both, songs and books, can tell stories and usually everyone relates to them in a way. That's why I find the lyrics in songs so important :)

      Delete
  3. I love the songs you picked for Beautiful Creatures. I really like the movie setting too and think that the song "I'm With You" (I think is the title) would've been perfect on that soundtrack!

    Angie
    My alternate name challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh, true! I didn't even think of that!!! when linking Avril Lavigne and Beautiful Creatures I always thought of the small-town setting, but her love songs really fit Lena and Ethan's relationship, as well!!!

      Delete

Similar To This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...