October 10, 2013

Review: The Catastrophic History of You and Me by Jess Rothenberg

The Catastrophic History of You and Me

Dying of a broken heart is just the beginning.... Welcome to forever. 
BRIE'S LIFE ENDS AT SIXTEEN: Her boyfriend tells her he doesn't love her, and the news breaks her heart—literally. 
But now that she's D&G (dead and gone), Brie is about to discover that love is way more complicated than she ever imagined. Back in Half Moon Bay, her family has begun to unravel. Her best friend has been keeping a secret about Jacob, the boy she loved and lost—and the truth behind his shattering betrayal. And then there's Patrick, Brie's mysterious new guide and resident Lost Soul . . . who just might hold the key to her forever after. 
With Patrick's help, Brie will have to pass through the five stages of grief before she's ready to move on. But how do you begin again, when your heart is still in pieces


Absolutely not my cup of tea. NOT for me.
What I expected this book to be:

A heartbreaking romance with a lot of cheesy 80s songs to listen to.

What this book really was:

An after-life experience with an awful lot of Paranormal mixed into it.

Did I hear someone on the backseat whisper mean things, hm?
Well, to that someone I can say - this was not my fault! 
I did not pick this book up despite knowing it was paranormal! I really honestly thought it was some kind of contemporary romance.
If someone had told me before that the book is really about a dead girl that wanders around in afterlife trying to fix the things she did wrong (not a spoiler, happens on the first page and in the synopsis) I wouldn't have bought it!
However, almost 1.5 years ago I read a review somewhere and loved it. And that person loved the book and I especially love book with song references in them , so I had to have it.
Then it sat on my shelf until now.
It started out...fine. Really, the first 50 pages or so were okay.
Then it bored me.
Then I hated it.
Then I had to motivate myself to turn the page every. single. time.
Don't get me wrong, this - like so often these days - is on a great part my own personal problem.
If you like paranormal books or the kinds that are set in some weird pathway between life and death - go for it. you will probably like it. If that's what you're looking for you're very likely to find it unique and love it.
If, however, you have a terrible time trying to imagine that you will end up in your favorite pizza shop post-death, you should probably head over to another section of YA, because this book will not cut it.
I found it too unrealistic at first, then too boring (nothing happened for like...200 pages) and then too long and then too cheesy and dramatic.
And that pizza shop really annoyed me.
So, all in all, not even the music references could save this book from my absolute disapproval!

1 comment:

  1. I wasn't sure I wanted to read this one, but I think you've convinced me now!! It sounds awesome! Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Similar To This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...